Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Creativity, Wisdom, & Innovation




















Today I was introduced to ALEPH, a private firm in Santo Domingo dedicated to bolstering “social and human development processes within and outside the country’s borders.”
One of ALEPH’s community outreach programs is tailored to provide teens and young adults creative experiences for their personal and cultural development. Their annual summer program takes place weekend after next in Banao, a town in central Republica Dominicana about 2 hours from Santo Domingo. I’ll be teaching a drawing workshop at the summer program and it will actually be my first time camping. I’ve never been to Banao but it’s supposed to have some beautifully preserved landscapes. And it’s just about halfway between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata- one of the nicest beaches in DR. I’ve never visited the latter either, but passed through on my way to Cabarete-- another popular beach town-- 6 years ago. I’m not sure yet but I’ll probably go to Puerto Plata after I leave camp. I’m pretty geeked about having the opportunity to volunteer and build with people here. International development rocks!


No comments:

Post a Comment